JULICH (Fr. Juliers), a town of Germany, in the Prussian Rhine province, on the right bank of the Roer, 16 m. N. E. of Aix-Ia-Chapelle. Pop. (1900), 5459. It contains an Evangelical and two Roman Catholic churches, a gymnasium, a school for non-commissioned officers, which occupies the former ducal palace, and a museum of local antiquities. Its manufactures include sugar, leather and paper. Julich (formerly also Gulch, Guliche) the capital of the former duchy of that name, is the Juliacum of the Antonini Ilinerarium; some have attributed its origin to Julius Caesar. It became a fortress in the 17th century, and was captured by the archduke Leopold in 1609, by the Dutch under Maurice of Orange in i6io,andby the Spaniards in 1622. In 1794 it was taken by the French, who held it until the peace of Paris in 1814. Till 1860, when its works were demolished, Julich ranked as a fortress of the second class.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)