YO-CHOW FU, a prefectural city in the Chinese province of Hu-nan, standing on high ground E. of the outlet of Tungt'ing Lake, in 29 18' N., 113 2' E. Pop. about 20,000. It was opened to foreign trade in 1899. The actual settlement is at Chinling-ki, a village 5$ m. below Yo-chow and half a mile from the Yangtsze. From Yo-chow the cities of Chang sha and Chang tfi are accessible for steam vessels drawing 4 to 5 ft. of water by means of the Tung-t'ing Lake and its affluents, the Siang and Yuen rivers. The district in which Yo-chow Fu stands is the ancient habitat of the aboriginal San Miao tribes, who were deported into S.W. China, and who, judging from some non-Chinese festival customs of the people, would appear to have left traditions behind them. The present city, which was built in 1371, is about 3 m. in circumference and is entered by four gates. The walls are high and well built, but failed to keep out the T'aip'ing rebels in 1853. Situated between Tung-t'ing Lake and the Yangtsze-kiang, Yo-chow Fu forms a depot for native products destined for export, and for foreign goods on their way inland. The net value of the total trade of the port in 1906 was 747,00x2 taels.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)