XENIA, a city and the county-seat of Greene county, Ohio, U.S.A., in the township of Xenia, about 3 m. E. of the Little Miami river, and about 55 m. S.W. of Columbus and about 65 m. N.E. of Cincinnati. Pop. (1900) 8696, of whom 410 were foreign-born ; (1910 census) 8706. Xenia is served by the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton, and the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis (Pennsylvania System) railways, and by interurban electric lines to Springfield and Dayton. It is the seat of the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans' Home and of the Xenia Theological Seminary (United Presbyterian; founded in 1794 at Service, Pa., and united in 1874 with the Theological Seminary of the North-West, founded in 1839 at Oxford, Ohio). About 3 m. N.E., at Wilberforce, is Wilberforce University (co-educational; opened in 1856 and reorganized in 1863), conducted by the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The public buildings of Xenia include a public library, the county court-house and the municipal building. Xenia is situated in a fine farming and stock-raising region, and among its manufactures are cordage and twine, boots and shoes, carriages and machinery- The township was first settled about 1797. Xenia was laid out as a village in 1803, was incorporated as a town in 1808 and was chartered as a city in 1870.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)