WROTHAM, an urban district in the Medway parliamentary division of Kent, England, 10 m. W. by N. of Maidstone, on the South-Eastern & Chatham railway. Pop. (1901) 3571. The church of St George, Early English and later, contains numerous brasses; and near it is the site of a palace of the archbishops of Canterbury, maintained until the time of Archbishop Simon Islip (c. 1350). S.W. of Wrotham is the village of Ightham, in which is a fine quadrangular moated manor-house, the Mote, in part of the 14th century, but with portions of Tudor dates.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)