WOODBRIDGE, a market town in the Woodbridge parliamentary division of Suffolk, England; 79 m. N.E. by E. from London by the Great Eastern railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) 4640. It is prettily situated near the head of the Deben estuary, which enters the North Sea 10 m. S. by E. The church of St Mary the Virgin is a beautiful Perpendicular structure, with a massive and lofty tower of flint work. The large estate left by Thomas Seekford of Sekforde (1578) endows the grammar school and hospital. Woodbridge Abbey, built by Seekford, occupies the site of an Augustinian foundation of the 12th century. There is a large agricultural trade, and general fairs and horse fairs are held.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)