WOLGAST, a seaport town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Pomerania, situated on the river Peene, which separates it from the island of Usedom, 30 m. by rail E. of Greifswald. Pop. (1905) 8346. There are various manufactures. Wolgast became a town in 1247, and after being the residence of the duke of Pomerania-Wolgast, it was ceded to Sweden in 1648. It was captured four times during the Thirty Years' War, and in 1675 by Frederick William, elector of Brandenburg. It was restored to Germany in 1815.
See B. Heberlein, Beitrage zur Geschichte der Burg und Stadt Wolgast (Wolgast, 1892).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)