WISHAW, a municipal and police burgh of Lanarkshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901) 20,873. It occupies the face of a hill a short distance south of the South Calder and about 2 m. N. of the Clyde, 15 m. E.S.E. of Glasgow by the Caledonian railway. It owes its importance to the development of the coal and iron industry, and was created a police burgh in 1855. It was extended to include the villages of Cambusnethan and Craigneuk in 1874. The chief public buildings are the town-hall, Victoria hail, the public library and the parish hall, and there is also a public park.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)