WESTPORT, a market-town, seaport and seaside resort of County Mayo, Ireland, near the mouth of a small river in Clew Bay. Pop. (1001) 3892. The town is 160 m. W. from Dublin by the Midland Great Western railway, Westport Quay at the river mouth being served by a branch line. There is a small export trade in grain. The beautiful demesne of the marquess of Sligo enriches the neighbourhood. Clew Bay, thickly studded with islands and surrounded with mountains, is one of the most magnificent of the great inlets on the W. coast. Near the S. shore is Croagh Patrick (2510 ft.), an isolated conical hill of singularly perfect form, in wide repute as a place of pilgrimage.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)