WEST SPRINGFIELD, a township of Hampden county, Massachusetts, U.S.A., on the Connecticut river, opposite Springfield. Pop. (1890) 5077; (1000) 7105 (1501 foreign- >orn); (1910) 9224. Area, about 18 sq. m. The township is served by the Boston & Albany railway, and by interurban electric railways to Holyoke and Hartford. The principal villages are Merrick and West Springfield on the Connecticut river and Mittineague on the Westfield river. West Springfield was originally a part of Springfield. The first settlement was not made, however, until about 1653, and there were few settlers until after King Philip's War (1676). In 1696 West Springfield was organized as a separate parish, and in 1774 was made a separate township. Holyoke was set off from it in 1860, and Agawam in 1855.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)