WEST ORANGE, a town of Essex county, New Jersey, U.S.A., in the N.E. part of the state, about 13 m. W. of New York City. Pop. (1890) 4358, (1900) 6889 (1773 foreign-born); (1905, state census) 7872; (1910) 10,980. It is served by the Orange branch of the Erie railroad, and is connected with neighbouring towns and cities by electric lines. The town has an area of about 7 sq. m. It is crossed in a N.E. and S.W. direction by two ridges the First (also called the Orange or Watchung) Mountain and the Second Mountain. Eagle Rock (about 650 ft.), on the summit of First Mountain, commands a splendid view. On the eastern slope of First Mountain are Hutton Park, containing the grounds of the Essex County Country Club, and Llewellyn Park, a beautiful residential tract of 7 50 acres, named in honour of its originator, Llewellyn S. Haskell (1815-1872). West Orange has various manufactures, including phonographs, lawn mowers and felt hats. In 1862 parts of the townships of Orange, Caldwell and Livingston were united into a new township named Fairmount. In 1863 another part of Orange was added and the name of the new township was changed to West Orange. In 1000 West Orange was chartered as a town.
See H. Whittemore, The Founders and Builders of the Oranges (Newark, 1896).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)