WEST HOBOKEN, a town of Hudson county, New Jersey, U.S.A., in the N.E. part of the state, adjoining Hoboken and Jersey City. Pop. (1890) 11,665; (1900) 23>O94. of whom 9119 were foreign-born; (1910, census) 35,403. For transportation facilities the town depends upon the railways serving Hoboken and Jersey City. West Hoboken lies about J m. W. of the Hudson river, occupies a pleasant site somewhat higher than that of its neighbouring municipalities, and commands a fine view of the surrounding country. Among the prominent buildings are a Carnegie library, St Michael's Monastery (containing a theological school), a Dominican Convent, and several fin churches; and there are two Roman Catholic orphanages. The town is an important centre for the manufacture of silk and silk goods; in 1905 the value of these products was $4,211,018. West Hoboken was created a separate township in 1861, from a part of the township of North Bergen, and in 1884 was incorporated as a town.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)