WELLSVILLE, a city of Columbiana county, Ohio, U.S.A., about 35 m. S. of Youngstown, on the Ohio river. Pop. (1890) 5247; (1900) 6146 (475 being foreign-born and 113 negroes); (1910) 7769. Wellsville is served by the Pennsylvania railway, and by an interurban electric line connecting with Rochester, Pa., and Steubenville, Ohio. It is in a region which has rich deposits of coal, natural gas, oil and clay; and there are various manufactures. The neighbourhood was first settled in 1795 by one James Clark of Washington county, Pennsylvania, who bought a tract of 304 acres here and who transferred it a year afterwards to his son-in-law, William Wells, in whose honour the settlement was named in 1820 when it was platted. From 1832 to 1852 Wellsville was an important shipping point on the Ohio, with daily steamboats to Pittsburg; it was incorporated as a village in 1848, and was chartered as a city in 1890.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)