WELLSTON, a city of Jackson county, Ohio, U.S.A., about 30 m. S.E. of Chillicothe. Pop. (1880) 952; (1890) 4377; (1900) 8045, of whom 311 were foreign-born; (1910 census) 6875. Land area (1906), 6-62 sq. m. Wellston is served by the Baltimore & Ohio South-western, the Hocking Valley, the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton, and the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton railways, and is connected by an electric line with Jackson (pop. in 1910, 5468), the county-seat, about 10 m. S.W. Immediately N. of the city is Lake Alma Park. Wellston is situated in a coal and iron mining country; among the city's manufactures are iron and cement, and in 1905 the value of the factory product was $1,384,295, 41-4% more than in 1900. The municipality owns and operates its water-works and its electric lighting plant. Wellston (named in honour of Harvey Wells, its founder) was settled in 1871, and was chartered as a city in 1876.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)