Wellington, New Zealand
WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND, the capital of New Zealand, the seat of government and of a bishop. Pop. (1901) 43,638; (1906) 58,563, and including suburbs, 63,807. It lies on the southwestern shore of North Island, on the inner shore of Port Nicholson, an inlet of Cook's Strait, the site affording a splendid harbour, walled in by abrupt hills. The original flat shore is occupied by massive walls constructed for the reclaiming of land, as the hills prevent an inland extension of the city. Wood was originally in favour as a building material, owing to the prevalence of earthquakes, but brick and stone subsequently took its place in the construction of the principal buildings. The main street is a winding thoroughfare named in different parts Thorndon Quay, Lambton Quay, Willis Street and Manners Street. It runs parallel to the shore, but the quays properly so called are separated from it by blocks of buildings. It is traversed by an electric tramway. There are two railway stations in the town and one in the southern suburb of Te Aro. Two main lines leave the town, one following the west coast, the other an inland route to Napier. The principal buildings are governmental; the houses of parliament, formerly a wooden erection, are rebuilt in brick and stone; there are also the residence of the governor and court house. The fine town hall was founded by the prince of Wales in 1901. There xxvin. 17 are several fine churches, and among educational institutions the chief is the Victoria University. An excellent school of art and several public libraries are provided, the latter including that in the house of parliament. The museum contains a beautiful Maori house of carved woodwork, and biological collections. There are several public parks and gardens on well-chosen elevated sites, the principal being the Botanical Garden, from which the city and port are well seen. Shipping is controlled by a harbour board (1880). The extensive wharves are amply served by hydraulic machinery and railways. Wellington was founded in 1840, being the first settlement of New Zealand colonists, and the seat of government was transferred here from Auckland in 1865. The town is under municipal government.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)