WAYNESBORO, a borough of Franklin county, Pennsylvania, J.S.A., near Antietam Creek, about 14 m. S.E. of Chambersburg, and about 65 m. S.W. of Harrisburg. Pop. (1890) 381 1 ; (190x3)5396; (1910)7199. Waynesboro is served by the Cumberad Valley and the Western Maryland railways. It lies at the ot of the South Mountain, and under the borough are many and caverns. A settlement was made here about 1734; : was called Mount Vernon for twenty years, and then Wallaceown (in honour of an early settler) until the close of the War of ^dependence, when it was named Waynesborough in honour of eneral Anthony Wayne; a village was platted in 1797; its barter as a borough, granted in 1818, was repealed in 1824 but > revived in 1830, the spelling being changed to " Waynesboro." See Benjamin M. Nead, Waynesboro (Harrisburg, Pa., 1900).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)