WATERTOWN, WISCONSIN, a city of Dodge and Jefferson counties, Wisconsin, U.S.A., on both banks of the Rock river, about 45 m. W.N.W. of Milwaukee. Pop. (1800) 8755; (1900) 8437, including 2447 foreign-born; (1905, state census) 8623; (1910) 8829. Watertown is served by the Chicago & North- Western and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St Paul railways, and by an interurban electric line, connecting with Milwaukee. It is the seat of North-western University (1865; Lutheran), which includes collegiate, preparatory and academic departments, and had in 1908-1909 ii instructors and 283 students, and of the Sacred Heart College (Roman Catholic, opened in 1872 and chartered in 1874), under the Congregation of the Holy Cross. There are also a Canegie library, a Lutheran Home for the Feeble-Minded, and a City Hospital. The Rock river furnishes water-power which is utilized for manufacturing. The value of the factory product in 1905 was $2,065,487. The city is situated in a dairying and farming region. The municipality owns and operates its waterworks. Watertown was founded about 1836 by settlers who gave it the name of their former home, Watertown, New York. Afterwards there was a great influx of Germans, particularly after the Revolution of 1848, among them being Carl Schurz, who began the practice of law here. Germans by birth or descent still constitute a majority of the population. Watertown was incorporated as a village in 1849, and was chartered as a city in 1853.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)