WARSAW, INDIANA, a city and the county-seat of Kosciusko county, Indiana, U.S.A., on the Tippecanoe river, about no m. E. of Chicago. Pop. (1890)3547; (1900) 3987, including 102 foreign-born; (1910) 4430. Warsaw is served by the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago (Pennsylvania system) and the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis railways, and by interurban electric lines. It is picturesquely situated in the lake country of Indiana on Center, Pike and Winona lakes. Immediately E. of the city, on Winona (formerly Eagle) Lake, which is about 2 by 3 m. and has an average depth of 30 ft., is Winona (formerly Spring Fountain) Park (incorporated 1895 largely by Presbyterians), which primarily aims to combine the advantages of Northfield, Massachusetts, and Chautauqua, New York. There is excellent boating and bathing here, and there are mineral springs in the Park, where in the summer there are a Chautauqua course lasting for six weeks, a normal school, a Bible school, a Bible conference, a school of missions, an International Training School for Sunday School Workers, a conference of temperance workers and nature study and other regular summer school courses; and in other months of the year courses are given here by the Winona Normal School and Agricultural Institute, Winona Academy (for boys) and Winona Conservatory of Music, and the Winona Park School for Young Women. The control of the Park is inter- denominational the Winona Federated Church was organized in 1905. Under practically the same control is the Winona Technical Institute in Indianapolis. The surrounding country is devoted to farming and stock raising. Warsaw was first platted in 1836, and became a city in 1875.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)