WARRENSBURG, a city and the county-seat of Johnson county, Missouri, U.S.A., on a hilly site near the Blackwater Fork of the La Mine river, in the west central part of the state, about 65 m. S.E. of Kansas City. Pop. (1890) 4706; (1900) 4724, including 556 negroes and 127 foreign-born; (IQIO) 4680. It is served by the Missouri Pacific railway. The city is the seat of a state normal school (opened in 1872), and among the prominent buildings are the court house and the railway station, both built of local sandstone. Pertle Springs, about lira. S., is a summer resort. Warrensburg is a shipping and supply point for a rich farming region. In the immediate vicinity there are extensive quarries of a blue sandstone, one of the best building stones of the state. Warrensburg was made the countyseat in 1836. Its settlement dates from a little earlier. The present city is not on the site of the original settlement, but is near it; the old town was abandoned in 1857, when the railway passed by it. During the Civil War Warrensburg was a Union post.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)