WANGANUI, the principal port on the west coast of North Island, New Zealand, in the Waitotara county, at the mouth of the Wanganui river, 134 m. by rail N. of Wellington. Pop. (1906) 8175. The town is laid out in rectangular blocks at the foot of low hills, from the summit of which (as in Queen's Gardens) a splendid panorama is seen, including the snow-clad Mount Ruapehu to the north-east. The river bar obstructs navigation, the depth not exceeding 14 ft., so that large vessels must lie outside. The district is agricultural and pastoral, and wool and grain are exported, as well as meat and dairy produce, for which there are large refrigerating works. The Wanganui Collegiate School (Church of England) is one of the largest boarding schools in Australasia. The district was the scene of conflicts with the natives in 1847, 1864 and 1868, and in the beautiful Moutoa gardens a monument commemorates the battle of that name (May I4th, 1864). The settlement was founded in 1842.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)