WALTON-ON-THE-NAZE (or WALTON-LE-SOKEN), a wateringplace in the Harwich parliamentary division of Essex, England, the terminus of a branch of the Great Eastern railway from Colchester, 71 J m. E.N.E. from London. Pop. of urban district (1901) 2014. This portion of the coast has suffered from encroachment of the sea, and a part of the old village of Walton, with the church, was engulfed towards the end of the 18th century. A prebendary stall at St Paul's Cathedral, London, was endowed with the- lands thus consumed (praebenda consumpta per mare). On the E. side of the town is the open North Sea, with a fine stretch of sand and shingle, affording good bathing. To the west is an irregular inlet studded with low islands, known as Hanford Water. The Naze is a promontory 2 m. N. by E. of the town, and in the vicinity of Walton are low cliffs exhibiting the fossiliferous red crag formation. The church of All Saints is a brick building dating mainly from 1804. Walton has a public hall, several hotels and a small theatre; and iron foundries and brick works. Services of passenger steamers in connexion with Harwich, Clacton- onSea, and London are maintained in the summer.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)