VYATKA, RUSSIA, a town of Russia, capital of the government of the same name, on the Vyatka river, 304 m. by rail W.N.W. of Perm. Pop. 24,782. It is built on the steep hills which rise above the river and at their base. Its old walls have been demolished, and its old churches built anew. It is an episcopal see and has a fine cathedral. Its manufactures include silver and copper wares, and ecclesiastical ornaments, and it has an important trade in corn, leather, tallow, candles, soap, wax, paper and furs (exported), and in manufactured and grocery wares (imported). Vyatka was founded in 1181 by the Novgorodians, as Khlynov. In 1391 it was plundered by the Tatars, and again in 1477. . Moscow annexed Khlynov in 1489. It received the name of Vyatka in 1 780.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)