VOLSINII, an ancient town of Etruria, Italy. The older Volsinii occupied in all probability the isolated tufa rock, so strongly defended by nature, upon which in Roman times stood the town which Procopius (B.C. ii. n seq.) calls Ovpfiifiti/Tos (Urbs veins, the modern Orvieto). This conjecture, first made by O. Miiller, has been generally accepted by modern archaeologists; and it is a strong point in its favour that the bishop of Orvieto in 595 signs himself episcopus cvnlatis Bulsiniensis (Gregor. Magn. Registr. v. 570; cf. ii. n, vi. 27). It had, and needed, no outer walls, being surrounded on all sides except the S.W. by abrupt tufa cliffs; but a massive wall found by excavation on the S.W. side of the town may have belonged to the acropolis. No remains of antiquity are to be seen within the city; but at the foot of the hill on the N. a large Etruscan necropolis was found in 1874, dating from the 5th century B.C. The tombs, constructed of blocks of stone and arranged in rows divided "by passages (like houses in a town), often had the name of the deceased on the facade. Many painted vases, etc., were found; some of the best are in the Museo Civico at Orvieto. Tombs with paintings have also been found to the W. of the town on the way to Bolsena.
Volsinii was reputed the richest of the twelve cities of Etruria. Wars between Volsinii and Rome are mentioned 392, 308 and 294 B.C., and in 265-64 B.C. the Romans assiste the inhabitants against their former slaves, who had successfully asserted themselves against their masters and took the tov Fulvius Flaccus gained a triumph for his victory, and it probably then that the statue of Vertumnus which stood the Vicus Tuscus at Rome was brought from Volsinii. Zonar; states that the city was destroyed and removed elsewhere, though the old site continued apparently to be inhabited, to judge from the inscriptions found there. The new city certainly situated on the hills on the N.E. bank of the Lak of Bolsena (Lacus V olsiniensis) , 12 m. W.S.W. of Orvieto, wh many remains of antiquity have been found, on and abov the site of the modern Bolsena (q.v.). These remains consis of Etruscan tombs, the sacred enclosure of the goddess Nortia, with votive objects and coins ranging from the beginning of the 3rd century B.C. to the middle of the 3rd century A.D., remains of Roman houses, etc., and an amphitheatre of the imperial period (E. Gabrici in Monumenti dei Lincei, xvi., 1906, 169 sqq., and in Notizie degli Scavi, 1906, 59 sqq.).
The history of the new Volsinii is somewhat scanty. Sejanus, the favourite of Tiberius, and Musonius Rufus the Stoic were natives of the place. The earliest dated inscription from the cemetery of S. Christina (discovered with its subterranean church in 1880-81) belongs to A.D. 376 and the first known bishop of Volsinii to A.D. 499. In the next century, however, the see was transferred to Orvieto. Etruscan tombs have been found on the Isola Bisentina, in the lake; and on the west bank was the town of Visentium, Roman inscriptions belonging to which have been found. The site is marked by a medieval castle bearing the name Bisenzo.
See E. Bprmann in Corp. Inscr. Latin. xi., 1888, pp. 423 sqq.; Notizie degli Scavi, passim; G. Dennis, op. c.it. (ii. 18 sqq.).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)