VLADIMIR-VOLHYNSKIY, a town of Russia, in the government of Volhynia, 19 m. N.N.E. of the spot where the frontiers of Russia, Poland and Galicia meet and 300 m. W.N.W. of Kiev. Pop. (1885) 8752; (1897) 9695, three-fourths Jews. Though not mentioned in the annals before 988, Vladimir was probably in existence in the 9th century under the name of Ladomir. In the 1cth century it was the capital of the principality of Volhynia. The Tatars and the Lithuanians destroyed it several times, but it always recovered, and only fell into decay in the 17th century. It was finally annexed to Russia after the irst division of Poland (1772). The ruins in and near the town nclude remains of a church supposed to have been built by Vladimir, grand duke of Kiev, in the loth-nth centuries, and of another built in 1160 by his descendant Mstislav. This atter was apparently very well built, and its length exceeded that of the temple of St Sophia at Kiev. The town contains a good archaeological museum.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)