VERSECZ (Ger. Werschetz), a town of Hungary, in the county of Temes, 235 m. S.S.E. of Budapest by rail. Pop. (1900) 25,199. It has a handsome parish church and is the seat of a Greek Orthodox bishop. Versecz is one of the principal wineproducing centres in Hungary, and the red wines and brandy produced here enjoy a great reputation. Near the town are remains of a Roman castle, and a Roman rampart and trench which extend for about 60 m. to the north. During the revolutionary period of 1848-49 the Hungarians defeated the Servians here on the nth of July 1848, while on the 19th of January 1849 the town was occupied by the Austrian troops.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)