VENTNOR, a watering-place in the Isle of Wight, England, I2 m. S. by W. of Ryde by rail. Pop. of urban district (1901) 5866. It is finely situated in the Undercliff district, at the foot of St Boniface Down, which reaches a height of 787 ft. The town is built on a succession of terraces sloping towards the sea, and from its sheltered situation, equable temperature, and comparatively dry atmosphere is regarded as one of the best resorts in England for consumptive invalids. In the middle of the tgth century it was only a small fishing hamlet, now it extends along the shore for a distance of about 2 m., including Bonchurch to the east. It possesses assembly rooms, a literary and scientific institution, an esplanade, a pier and extensive recreation grounds. The churches of Ventnor are all modern, but that of St Boniface at Bonchurch is a small Norman building, perhaps the oldest in the island. Among the benevolent and charitable institutions are the royal national hospital for consumptives (founded in 1869), the seaside home of the London city mission, the St Catherine's home for consumptives and the convalescent home of the Royal Hants Hospital.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)