VAUXHALL, a district on the south bank of the river Thames, in London, England, included in the metropolitan borough of Lambeth. The manor was held by Falkes de Breaute (whence the name, Falkes Hall) in the time of John and Henry III. About 1661 public gardens were laid out here, known as the New Spring Garden, and later as Spring Gardens, but more familiar under the title of Vauxhall Gardens. They soon fecame the favourite fashionable resort of the metropolis; but as a place of general entertainment they underwent great development from 1732 under the management of Jonathan Tyers (d. 1767) and his sons Thomas and Jonathan. In 1822, with the approval of George IV., who frequented the gardens before his accession, the epithet Royal was added to their title. By the middle of the 19th century, however, Vauxhall had lost its high reputation; in 1859 the gardens were finally closed, and the site was quickly built over.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)