VALPARAISO, INDIANA, a city and the county-seat of Porter county, Indiana, U.S.A., about 40 m. S.E. of Chicago. Pop. (1890) 5090; (1900) 6280, including 660 foreign-born; (1910) 6987. It is served by the Grand Trunk, the New York, Chicago & St Louis, and the Pennsylvania railways. The city has a public library (1905), and is the seat of an Institute of Telegraphy (founded in 1874; chartered in 1900) and of Valparaiso University (1873; formerly known as the Valparaiso Normal Training School). This university was founded to furnish a practical education at a low cost, and in 1910 had 187 instructors and a total enrolment of 5367 students. Valparaiso was settled about 1835, incorporated in 1856 as a village and chartered as a city in 1865.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)