VACZ (Ger. Wailzcri), a town of Hungary, in the county of Pest-Pilis-Solt-Kis-Kun, 20 m. N. of Budapest by rail. Pop. (1900) 16,563. It is situated on the left bank of the Danube, at the point where this river takes its southern course, and at the foot of the Nagyszal (Ger. Waitzenberg), on the outskirts of the Carpathians. It is the seat of a Roman Catholic bishopric, founded in the 11th century, and contains a beautiful cathedral, built in 1761-1777, after the model of St Peter's at Rome. Amongst other buildings are the episcopal palace, with a museum of Roman and medieval antiquities, several convents, and the principal deaf and dumb institute in the country. There are large vineyards in the neighbouring hilly district, and the exportation of grapes is extensively carried on. Va.cz was the scene of two victories gained by the Austrians against the Turks, one in 1597 and the other in 1684.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)