UJVIDEK (German, Neusatz), a town of Hungary in the county of Bacs-Bodrog, 171 m. S.S.E. of Budapest by rail. Pop. (1900), 28,763. It is situated on the left bank of the Danube near the terminus of the Franz- Josef canal. It is the seat of a Greek Orthodox bishop, and has become the literary and religious centre of the Servians in Hungary, especially since the foundation in 1864 of the Matica Srbska, or Servian Literary Society. The town was founded in the middle of the 18th century, and was almost totally destroyed during the revolution of 1848-49. On the opposite bank of the Danube, connected with Ujvidek by a railway bridge, lies Petervarad or Peterwardein.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)