UELZEN, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Hanover, on the Ilmenau, east of the famous Liineburger Heide, at the junction of the railway connecting Hamburg, Hanover, Bremen and Stendal, 52 m. S.E. of Hamburg. Pop. (1905), 9329. The town has four Evangelical churches, one of which, dedicated to the Holy Ghost, has a valuable altarpiece dating from the 14th century. The principal industries are flax, sugar, tobacco and machinery, and there is a trade in cattle and horses. In the vicinity are some interesting Slavonic remains and the former Benedictine monastery of Ullesheim.
Founded in the 1cth century as Lowenwold, Uelzen became in the middle ages an active member of the Hanseatic League.
See Jaenicke, Geschichte der Stadt Uelzen (Hanover, 1889).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)