TYRONE, PENNSYLVANIA, a borough of Blair county, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., about 15 m. N.E. of Altoona, on the Little Juniata river, a small tributary of the Juniata river. Pop. (1910) 7176. Tyrone is served by the main line and three short branches of the Pennsylvania railway (which has repair shops here) , and is connected with Altoona by an electric line. The borough is situated about 910 ft. above sea-level, in an agricultural and lumbering region, and there are deposits of limestone in the vicinity. It is a distributing point for the Clearfield coal region to the northward. At the village of Birmingham, 3 m. east, is a school for girls (founded 1853; incorporated 1907). Tyrone was laid out as a village in 1851, and was incorporated as a borough in 1857.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)