TUTTLINGEN, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Wtirttemberg, on the left bank of the Danube, which is here crossed by a bridge, 37 m. by rail N.E. of Schaffhausen, and at the junction of lines to Stuttgart and Ulm. Pop. (1905), 14,627. The town is overlooked by the ruins of the castle of Honberg, which was destroyed during the Thirty Years' War, and has an Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church, several schools, and a monument to Max Schneckenburger (1819-1849), the author of Die Wacht am Rhein. Its chief manufactures are shoes, cutlery, surgical instruments and woollen goods, and it has a trade in fruit and grain.
Tuttlingen is a very ancient place, and is chiefly memorable for the victory gained here on the 24th of November 1643 by the Austrians and Bavarians over the French. It was almost totally destroyed by fire in 1803. It has belonged to Wiirttemberg since 1404.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)