About Maximapedia


TROWEL (Med. Eng. truel, O. Fr. truellc, Low Lat. truella, a variant of trulla, diminutive of trua, stirring spoon, ladle, Gr. Topvvrj, from the root far, to turn round and round; cf. ropeuj, borer), a tool or implement, varying in shape according to the use to which it is put, but consisting of a blade of iron or steel fitted with a handle. The bricklayers' or plasterers' trowel, used for mixing, spreading and smoothing the mortar or plaster, has a flat, triangular, oval or rectangular blade; the gardeners' trowel, for digging plants, laying or mixing mould, etc., has a semi-cylindrical blade. Highly ornamental trowels made of, or decorated with, the precious metals are presented to royal, official or other personages who formally lay the foundation stones of buildings.

Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)

Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | GDPR