TROUVILLE, a seaside town of north-western France, in the department of Calvados, on the English Channel, 34 m. N.E. of Caen by rail. Pop. (19061, 5684. Trouville is situated on the slopes of well-wooded hills at the mouth of the Touques on its right bank opposite Deauville. Its fine stretches of sand and excellent bathing, a spacious casino and beautiful villas, are among the attractions which make it the most frequented French resort on the channel. Deauville is well known for its racecourse and villas, exceeding those of Trouville in luxury, but except during the race fortnight in August (la grande quinzaine) it is quiet and comparatively deserted. The port shared with Deauville and formed by the Touques is entered by a channel between jetties with a depth at high tide of i8| ft. This leads on the one side to a tidal harbour, on the other to an outer and an inner basin. Timber, coals and cement are imported. The London & South Western Railway Company have a daily steamboat service from Havre to Trouville in connexion with their Southampton and Havre boats. Besides trawling and the provisioning of ships, in which Deauville is also engaged, Trouville carries on boat-building and has rope and briquette works.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)