TRIPOLITSA, officially Tripolis, a town of Greece, capital of the nomarchy of Arcadia, and the seat of an archbishop, situated in a plain over 2,000 ft. above sea-level, 22 m. S.W. of Argos. The name has reference to the three ancient cities of Mantineia, Pallantium and Tegea, of which Tripolitsa is the modern representative. It does not stand on any ancient site. Before the war of independence it was the capital of the Morea and the seat of a pasha, with about 20,000 inhabitants; but in 1821 it was taken and sacked by the insurgents, and in 1825 its ruin was completed by Ibrahim Pasha. The town has since been rebuilt, and contains 10,789 inhabitants (1907).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)