TRIKKALA (anc. Trika), a town of Greece, capital of the department of Trikkala, and the see of an archbishop, 38 m. W. of Larissa. In winter, when great numbers of Vlach herdsmen take up their quarters in the town, its population exceeds that of Larissa. It has the appearance of a Mussulman town on account of its mosques (only two of which are in use) and it is a centre of trade in wheat, maize, tobacco and cocoons. The town was in ancient times a celebrated seat of the worship of Aesculapius. Pop. (1889), 14,820; (1907) 17,809; of the department, 90,548.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)