TREVOUX, a town of eastern France, chief town of an arrondissement in the department of Am, 16 m. N. of Lyons on the Paris-Lyons railway. Pop. (1906), 1934. The town is situated on the slope of the left bank of the Sadne, which is here crossed by a suspension bridge and is dominated by two towers, remains of a feudal castle of the 12th century. The fortifications date from the 14th century, and the church from the same period. The law-court is a building of the 17th century, and was once the seat of the parlement of Dombes. Trevoux has a sub-prefecture and a tribunal of first instance. gold and silver wire-drawing, introduced into the town by Jews in the 14th century, and the manufacture of apparatus for wire-drawing, are its chief industries.
Trevoux (Trevos) was hardly known before the 11th century, after which it was included in the domain of the lords of ThoireVillars, from whom it acquired its freedom. It was bought by the Bourbons in 1402, became the capital of the Dombes, and had its own mint. In 1603 a well-known printing works was established there, from which in the 18th century the Journal de Trevouse and a universal dictionary known as the Dictionnaire de Trevoux were issued by the Jesuits.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)