TORTOLI, a town and episcopal see of Sardinia, on the east coast, 140 m. N.N.E. of Cagliari by rail (55 m. direct). Pop. (1901), 2105. It lies 60 ft. above sea-level to the south-west of a large lagoon, which renders it unhealthy. The harbour is 2\ m. to the east, and serves for the export of the wine and agricultural produce of the Ogliastra. A little to the south of Tortoli was the station of Sulci on the Roman coast road, known to us only from the itineraries.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)