TIREH (anc. Teira), a town of Asia Minor, situated in the valley of the Ktichuk Menderes (Caystrus) at the foot of Mt Messogis. It was the capital of the amirate of Aidin in the uth century, and is described by Ibn Batuta as a fine city with streams and gardens. Pop. over 14,000, the larger half Moslems. It is connected with Smyrna by a branch of the Aidin railway, and has a trade in raisins, wheat, rice, tobacco and cotton.
TtRGOVISHTEA (Rumanian Ttrgovijtea, or Tdrgovis.Ua, sometimes incorrectly written Tergovista or Tirgovist), the capital of the department of Dimbovitza, Rumania; situated at the foot of the Carpathians, on the right bank of the river Jalomitza, 48 m. N.N.W. of Bucharest. Pop. (1900), 9398. A branch line connects Tirgovishtea with the main Walachian system, and is prolonged northwards into the hills, where there are rich deposits of petroleum, salt and lignite. Coal is also found but not worked. Apart from the scanty ruins of a 14th-century palace, the most interesting building in the town is the Metropolitan church, still one of the finest in the country, with its nine towers and monuments of the princely house of Cantacuzino. It was founded in 1513 by Neagoe Basarab, builder of the famous cathedral of Curtea de Argesh. Tirgovishtea is a garrison town, with a cavalry training school and an artillery depot and repairing arsenal.
1010 Under Mircea the Old (1383-1419) Tirgovishtea became the third capital of Walachia. In the 15th century it was sacked by the Szeklers. Michael the Brave defeated the Turks under its walls in 1597. In the 16th century it had a population of 60,000 and contained 70 churches and 40 convents. After Constantine Brancovan moved the seat of government to Bucharest in 1698, Tirgovishtea lost its importance and the population decreased.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)