TILBURG, a town in the province of north Brabant, Holland, and a junction station 135 m. by rail E. by S. of Breda. A steam tramway connects it northwards with Waalwijk. Pop. (1905), 46,517. Tilburg has risen into importance since the separation of Belgium from Holland as one of the chief industrial centres of the south. It has Roman Catholic and Protestant churches, a synagogue, a cloth hall, a higher-burgher school, an art and music school, and a Roman Catholic seminary. The woollen manufacture is the chief industry, besides which there are leather, soap, oil and tobacco factories, as well as breweries, tanneries and iron foundries.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)