THORNABY-ON-TEES, a municipal borough in the North Riding of Yorkshire, England, 3 m. S.W. of Middlesbrough, on the North-Eastern railway. Pop. (1901), 16,054. It lies opposite Stockton-on-Tees, with which it is connected by a bridge, on the river Tees. There are blast furnaces, iron foundries, engineering works, iron ship-building yards, extensive saw-mills, flour-mills and a manufactory of " blue and white " pottery. The town was formerly known as South Stockton, and is still included in the parliamentary borough of Stockton (it is within the Cleveland division of the county), but was incorporated as a separate municipal borough in 1892. It is under a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors. Area, 1927 acres.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)