THOMASVILLE, a city and the county-seat of Thomas county, Georgia, U.S.A., about 200 m. S.W. of Savannah. Pop. (1900), 5322, of whom 3296 were negroes; (1910), 6727. Thomasville is served by the Atlanta, Birmingham & Atlantic, the Atlantic Coast Line and the Florida Central railways. The city is attractively situated (about 250 ft. above the sea) on a high plateau, is surrounded by pine forests, and is a well-known winter resort. There are fine drives in the vicinity. Thomasville has a city hospital, a public library (1876) and a good public school system, and is the seat of Young's College (for girls), which was founded by E. Remer Young, a wealthy planter of Thomas county, was incorporated in 1869 and was opened in 1871, and of the Vashti industrial school (1903) for girls, maintained by the Women's home mission society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The city has a large trade in lumber, especially yellow pine; other products of the region are cotton, sugar-cane, tobacco, melons, fruits and vegetables. The municipality owns and operates the water-works and electric-lighting plant; the water supply is obtained in part from artesian wells 1900 ft. deep. Thomasville was settled about 1825, was incorporated as a town in 1831, and was chartered as a city in 1889.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)