TENBURY, a market town in the Bcwdley parliamentary division of Worcestershire, England, on the KidderminsterWooferton branch of the Great Western railway, 153 m. W.N.W. of London. Pop. (1901) 2080. It is pleasantly situated on the right bank of the Teme, here the boundary with Shropshire. The town has a spa, whose waters are efficacious in rheumatic affections and diseases of the skin. The church of St Mary the Virgin has Norman remains in the tower and chancel. The district produces hops and fruit, and there is trade in cider. The Teme abounds in trout and grayling, and Tcnbury is in favour with anglers. At Old Wood, 2 m. S.W. of Tcnbury, are St Michael's church and college (1858), founded and partially endowed by the Rev. Sir Frederick Gore Ouseley, in which the ordinary preparatory education of boys is combined with a school for choristers and instruction in ecclesiastical music.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)