TEATE MARRUCINORUM [mod. Chieti, <?.?.], the chief town of the Marrucini, the whole of whose territory was placed under its municipal jurisdiction by the Romans, after the " Social War." It was thus a town of some importance. Under the church of SS. Pietro e Paolo and the adjoining houses are extensive substructures (in opus reticulatum and brickwork) of the 1st century A.D., belonging to a building erected by M. Vectius Marcellus (probably mentioned by Pliny, H.N., II., 199) and Helvidia Priscilla. There are also remains of large reservoirs and of a theatre.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)