TEANUM APULUM, an ancient town of Apulia, Italy, on the road between Larinum and Sipontum, 18 m. E. of the former, at the crossing of the Fortore near the modern village of S. Paolo di Civitate. It was called Teate in earlier times, as appears from its numerous coins, which have Oscan legends. It submitted to Rome in 318 B.C., being then the chief town of Apulia. It was afterwards known as Teanum Apulum, and was a municipium. Some ruins and an old bridge over the Fortore still exist.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)