TAVIRA, a seaport of southern Portugal, in the district of Faro (formerly the province of Algarve); at the mouth of the river Seca, 21 m. E.N.E. of Faro. Pop. (1900) 12,175. The harbour is protected by two forts, and the public buildings include a Moorish citadel, a Renaissance church, and a ruined nunnery founded by King Emanuel (1495-1521). Tavira has sardine and tunny fisheries, and carries on a considerable coasting trade. Excellent fruit is grown in the neighbourhood.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)