TAUNG-GYI, the headquarters of the superintendent and political officer, southern Shan States, Burma. It is situated in 96 58' E. and 20 47' N., at an altitude of about 5000 ft., in a depressed plateau on the crest of the Sintaung hills. It is in the state of Yawnghwe, 105 m. from Thazi railway station on the Rangoon-Mandalay railway, with which it is connected by a cart-road. The civil station dates from 1894, when there were only a few Taungthu huts on the site. There were in 1906 upwards of a thousand houses, many of them substantially built of brick. Since 1906 the southern Shan States have been garrisoned by military police, whose headquarters are in Taunggyi. The station is to a considerable extent a commercial depot for the country behind, and there are many universal supply shops of most nationalities (except British) Austrian, Chinese and Indian. The five-day bazaar is the trading place of the natives of the country. A special quarter contains the temporary residences of the chiefs when they visit headquarters, and there is a school for their sons. An orchard for experimental cultivation has met with considerable success. The average shade maximum temperature is 84 ; the minimum 39.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)