TARNOW, a town in Galicia, Austria, 164 m. W.N.W. of Lemberg by rail. Pop. (1900) 31,691, about 40 per cent. Jews. It is situated on the river Biala, not far from its junction with the Dunajec, and is the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop. It possesses a cathedral in Gothic style, built in the isth century, with monuments of the Tarnowski and Ostrogski families, to which the town formerly belonged, and another church built in 1454. On the Martinsberg, an eminence near the town, stands the ruins of the old castle of the Tarnowski family, and a small church over 800 years old. Worth mentioning also is the town hall, an old and interesting building. Agricultural implements, glass and chicory are manufactured.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)