TANGERMUNDE, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Saxony, on the Elbe, 43 m. N.E. from Magdeburg by rail via Stendal. Pop. (1905) 12,829. It contains iron foundries, shipbuilding yards, refineries, and other industrial establishments, and enjoys a considerable river trade in grain and coal. It is ornamented by numerous brick buildings of the 14th and 15th centuries, including the turreted walls, the church of St Stephen (1376), and the late Gothic town hall. The castle, built in the 14th century, was the chief residence of the margraves of Brandenburg.
See Gotze, Geschicnte der Burg Tangermunde (Stendal, 1871).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)