SULINA, a town in Rumania, at the mouth of the Sulina branch of the Danube. Pop. (1900), 5611. Sulina is the only free port on the Danube, and is much used for the transhipment into seagoing vessels of grain which is brought down the river in large lighters from Rumania, Russia, Bulgaria, Servia and AustriaHungary. No agricultural produce is grown in its neighbourhood, owing to the reed-covered swamps with which it is surrounded. Sulina is the headquarters of the technical department of the European Commission of the Danube (q.v.). Large steamers navigate up to Galatz and Braila. In 1901 , 141 1 steamers and sailing craft aggregating 1,830,000 tons register cleared from Sulina for European ports carrying, besides other merchandise, nearly 13,000,000 quarters of grain. Owing to the improvements effected by the European Commission, there is a depth of 24 ft. of water on the bar, and of 18 to 22 ft. in the fairway. A lighthouse overlooks the estuary. The town contains the only English church in Rumania.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)